We are delighted if you are considering St. Mary’s for your special day. St Mary’s provides a unique location in which to celebrate your marriage. It is a wonderful Church with a beautiful historic building that provides the perfect setting for a memorable day. Sometimes people feel that they may be regarded as hypocrites if they marry in church but are not churchgoers. We do not take that view. As the parish church we regard ourselves as here for all and would love to help you celebrate your lives together by offering a wedding or a blessing of a wedding.
We like to say “Yes”
A couple can marry in St Mary’s if one of them
1. lives in the parish or
2. is on the electoral roll
And yes, they can also marry if
3. one of them has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
4. has regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
5. was baptised in the parish or
6. was confirmed in the parish
Or if one of their parents at any time after they were born:
7. has lived in the parish for a period of at least 6 months or
8. has at any time regularly gone to normal church services in the parish church for a period of at least 6 months or
9. was married in the church
If none of 1-9 applies, yes they can still marry in St Mary’s if
10. they are granted a Special license (from the Archbishop of Canterbury).
And did you know that if you move house, you’re immediately connected to the church there? That means you can marry in the church of your new parish.
For more information on Church of England weddings please visit the weddings website. This has information on all parts of your church wedding.
To find your local parish church where you can get married please click here
For more information on getting married please contact the church office on 01582 721867.